Lindsey here, hoping that all of you are having a great day so far. I am back to work after what felt like a very short weekend. Then again, they always do!
I know that a few weeks ago I talked about Monday motivation and what I did personally to get motivated. Today, I would like to give you a few ideas on how to keep going once that Monday motivation wears off!
We’ve all been there- Sunday night, setting out your work out gear, planning your week down to the specific details, not know what curve-balls the week will throw at you. You crawl into bed intent on getting up early, not hitting the snooze button, going to work refreshed and ready to take on the day. Then you wake up still a little sleepy and conquer the day. You return home and think about the awesome day you had and how you are going to wake up tomorrow and do it again. If you are like me, some weeks it is just a struggle to crawl out of bed and pour a cup of coffee, let alone throw on my running shoes.
I am actively working on this and diligently trying to stick to my guns regarding working out and making the right choices for me.
Here are five tips to keep you going once the Monday motivation has worn off:
- Listen to upbeat music. One of the ways I can escape and regroup is through music. The right playlist can make the difference between owning the day or the day owning me because it has a huge effect on my attitude. I have found lately that I enjoy a combination of upbeat oldies and alternative as well as Disney ride soundtracks.
- Be realistic. I am guilty of setting lofty goals for myself on Sunday night. That is mostly because on Sunday night I am looking to the possibilities of what the week might hold and dreaming big! However, sometimes it is necessary to check myself and be realistic about what is going to be accomplished and what won’t. By doing this, I am making sure that, come Friday night, I am not regretting all the coulda-woulda-shoulda’s and can celebrate what I did accomplish.
- Treat Yo’ Self- That is what Donna would recommend and also what I recommend. Sometimes this treat can come in the form of a manicure and other times it might be a soft serve cone from McDonald’s. The important thing is that at the end of what you proclaim as a great week, it is important to celebrate and indulge yourself a little. You work hard and deserve it!
- Rest. I Cannot tell you how many times I have woken up on Monday rip roaring and ready to go, only to find that the next day I am dragging a little. This trend seems to continue through the week until I am so exhausted the idea of doing anything more than putting my pj’s is awful. That is what it is so important that you rest and give your body the time to relax and allows you to wake up feeling refreshed.
- Elsa said it best, Let It Go! What I mean when I say it is that sometimes, you just need to let it go- the stress, the sadness, the anxiety and look at all of the good things that are happening around you. This is one that I have to frequently remind myself to do. My job is not necessarily life or death but I have a boss that is a tad..high maintenance. Because of this, I sometimes have trouble checking my attitude and negative thoughts from the day at the door. However, I have found that if I can look at a the silver lining from the day and focus on the good things that happened, I can enjoy the rest of my evenings and weekends a little more.
I hope that some of you may find these tips useful as you venture through your week. I would absolutely love to hear about what keeps you going during the week!